Monday, March 7, 2011

Too Much Eye Candy

               There is a new report that indicates the reason why some of us can’t sleep at night. We have too much eye candy. In other word’s we have too many technology toys that keep us going to bed of a night time. I know that I suffer from this. I’m always on my desktop, laptop, or iPod before it’s time to go to bed. Then I lay there in bed playing games on my cell phone. I don’t know if you are like me, but I really love all of my tech toys. So, before you head to bed of a night time, put away the ipad, turn off the smart phone, don’t go near the play station or Xbox. This of course is what researcher’s have found, which concludes that the use of  technology in the hour before bedtime is pervasive and even perhaps unhealthy.



             Of those who were surveyed in the poll, 95 % indicate that they use some sort of or type of electronic device the hour before bedtime, like a T.V., computer, video game, or even cell phone. It used to be that only the T.V., occupied our time before bed. With the advancement of technology, that’s just not the case anymore. All of our new toys are trying to catch up with the T.V., according to the finding that indicates it still occupies the majority of time spent before bedtime. The second thing on the list is the computer or laptop. Six out of  ten people indicate using it before bedtime. The study finds that exposure to artificial light between dusk and the time that we go to bed of a night suppresses the release of the sleep- promoting hormone melatonin, making it more difficult to fall asleep. Most people the ages of 13-64 indicate they have trouble sleeping of a night time, especially on weekends.


            The use of the cell phone being a disturbance has risen as well. Most indicate they either have been woken by a call, text message, or email. The higher use of these sleep disruptive gadget’s have a more serious and alarming danger on our youth, causing health problems to some. If you are having trouble sleeping, avoid all technology an hour before bedtime. I don’t know about the rest of you, but like I mentioned I think that this is the reason why it takes me awhile to get to sleep at times. Please feel free to drop a comment or suggestion. I would be glad to hear from you. As always, enjoy your day!        

1 comments:

I am also guilty of this... I have to watch at least a hour of TV before I sleep. If there isn't anything on TV then I get on my laptop and watch other things. This is seriously killing me on sleep time.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More