Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mozilla’s Slow Add Ons

          I’ve been around the internet for quite a few years now. I was really glad to see that Mozilla finally has some intention of doing something about their slow add ons.

        I started using Firefox in late 2003. Their use of add ons and the ability to be able to customize your browser the way you want is what drew me away from the IE in the first place.
            I really didn’t care much for the IE then and I really don’t use it that much now either, only at work where OMG, we are still using the IE 6, sshh don’t tell no one.

       I truly enjoy Firefox, I think that it’s a great browser. Over time though it has become slow and bloated because of the add ons. I only use 3-4 myself. That was the reason that I decided to make the switch to Chrome. Although we Firefox 4, I do find myself using it more and more. I know that the developer’s of Firefox spend countless hours trying to tweak certain areas of Firefox to make it as fast as possible. I have to commend them for pointing out to the developers the slow add ons. Take a look below at some of the add ons that slow the performance of Firefox:



          
           This list is just the top 5 add ons that will slow the performance of Firefox. Just what is Mozilla doing to institute better performance from these add ons? It is performing automated performance testing on the top 100 add ons in it’s add ons gallery. They are reaching out to the developers of the add ons as well to get them to improve the performance of their add ons by supplying them with some developer tools to help them out. Mozilla realizes that the addition of third party  vendor software disrupts the end user experience. In the future Mozilla will release a build of Firefox without any third party add ons that will truly enhance the user experience. YES! What do you think of Firefox? I would really love to hear from you! Get out there and enjoy your day!  

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More